Dating after divorce or breakup may feel overwhelming for some. Take some time for yourself and utilize flow triggers to help you flow into love. Once you feel ready to date again, here are some actions and tips you can take that can help make the dating process easier. Remember dating can be a fun adventure if you choose to make it so and it is the first step to finding a new love.
Try these strategies:
- Stay connected. Your friends and family can help you find someone new. They can help you navigate dating and answer questions. They can also help you to build the confidence to go out and date again. They can remind you of all the qualities that make you awesome and so deserving of love.
- Have fun. It’s all about your perspective and mindset. People love meeting people who are loving their life. So go out there and enjoy the journey of dating again and being alive. This is an opportunity for you to learn new things. However, if you’re tired or afraid of being alone or unhappy with life, people will get turned off or you might seem desperate and may pursue those who aren’t interested in or right for you. It’s more effective to have a calm, confident and fun approach to dating and view it as a process. It may take time to find a new love, but the process is worth it.
- Write down the reasons why you want to be in a relationship. It’s easy to come up with excuses to avoid dating: you’re afraid, busy, tired, not ready, you’re worried about your ex’s feelings, or if you have children, you feel scared about the children’s reaction. Once you focus on the reasons why you WANT to be in a relationship and the benefits of it, you’ll see that the excuses won’t stop you from finding love again.
- Make the first move to start dating again. Once you get started, you’ll see your life transform for the better. This can range from signing up for a dance class to accepting a friend’s invitation to a party. You can join a Meetup group for an activity that you like so you can meet new people. If you want to find new love, then go to places where you might find other single people. By paying attention to the world around you, you’ll notice dating opportunities in new places. Experts compare dating to exercise because both require a commitment but can produce great results.
- Consider online dating. If the last time you went on a date was decades ago, you may want to explore new options. There are multiple online dating websites, and some of them cater to niche hobbies or jobs. It’s important to explore all of the choices before you sign up because of fees. You’ll discover that the options range from the eccentric to the normal. Your online dating profile is how you’ll connect to others, so keep it accurate, express your personality and what you are looking for in a partner and relationship, and avoid posting information you don’t want the entire world to know.
- Introduce your dates to people you love and trust if the relationship starts to get serious. It’s great to get the opinions of others when you start dating again and you are consider being exclusive with someone. The people you love and trust the most can see things that you might not be willing to see because you might have been swept away by the attention, romance and rosey colored eyeglasses. Your peeps will keep you grounded, present and give you honest feedback.
- Share dating information with your children only when you get serious. Although it may be tempting to involve them and ask their opinions, your children are adjusting to their new life and yours. It may take them some time to adjust to you dating and meeting someone new. If you’re certain you’ve found the right partner for you, discuss the new and serious love in your life with your children before they meet this person. This is the perfect opportunity to answer questions, let them share their concerns or fears about the relationship and reassure them of your love and commitment to them as their parent.
- Every relationship is an opportunity to learn something about you. Keep yourself open to learning more about yourself and relationships. You might be dating for a while before you find that right partner for you. Having an open and growth mindset will allow you to move through relationship experiences with ease. Let go of expectations and remember to love yourself through it all.
Dating after divorce can be exciting and fun with the right strategies. By staying positive and choosing to have a growth mindset, you can find love again. If you would like to explore how you can shift your mindset with a coach, the Flow Into Love Relationship Flow Coaching Program might be for you.